Besides writing and art, I also teach piano lessons! Over the years I’ve created a few original works, transcribed LDS church hymns for five-finger piano, and adapted a few songs along the way.
New arrangement of Christmas song “I Wonder as I Wander” added 4.Mar.2020!
One of my grown students once fostered a mother cat and her litter. Although the momcat and her kittens were re-homed, my student kept Jade, a beautiful seal-point shorthair. I wrote this picturing Jade enjoying a sunny frolic in her garden.
This is written in quarter notes for the ease of the beginning student, but it should be played with some speed for flow.
Transcriptions and Arrangements
- I Wonder as I Wander
OR download it from Gumroad (pay what you want–including $0, but tips are appreciated ;))
I needed a song for a Christmas performance in 2019. I’ve always liked “I Wonder As I Wander” (so haunting!) but 1) didn’t find an arrangement I liked online and 2) I found the song’s original second and third verses to be…lackluster (to be polite).
“Away in a Manger” fit the meter, but without a singer, no one would know that. Kindly ward members found me a soprano who could reliably hit a high D. She was away at college, but agreed to sing for me anyway. Even though the arrangement hadn’t been written yet. Brave girl.
I wanted the third verse to NOT be more “Away in A Manger” but the other two options I looked up in my church’s green hymnbook didn’t do anything for me. I Ducky’d the meter and discovered a public domain hymn by the name of “My Jesus, I Love Thee”. Verse two would work just fine, thanks. Hours later in MuseScore…here we are.
I wrote it to be manageable for the pianist–intermediate level at the most. Even if it looks intimidating, give the third verse a try.
I about jumped out of my seat when I heard this song featured in the trailer for Gravity. You see, I’d had this Arvo Pärt song on CD for years. After discovering MuseScore, I searched for and found a lovely arrangement for piano and violincello.
Hm, I thought. With a little modding, that could be doable for a solo pianist. So I grabbed the file and went to work. My arrangement uses Danwe’s transcription as a major base, but I also made some (what I consider) corrections from listening to the CD. It’s not perfect, but I think it’s pretty good, and I enjoy playing it.
Free LDS Easy Piano Five-Finger Hymns
A grown student of mine, Sue, wanted dearly to play some of our church hymns, but we both found the Hymns Made Easy book to be above her level.
In response, I simplified them even further, transforming the melodies into 5-finger arrangements. This means there are zero to no hand position changes and almost no chords!
Though they’re nothing fancy, Sue really enjoyed being able to play the worship songs she loved!
These public-domain hymn arrangements are presented as-is; feel free to write in any fingering or letter name helps! These are FOR YOU!
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – Choose the Right
- 5-Finger LDS Hymns – Come, Come, Ye Saints
- 5-Finger LDS Hymns – I Know That My Redeemer Lives
- 5-Finger LDS Hymns – In Humility Our Savior
- 5-Finger LDS Hymns – Jesus, The Very Thought of Thee
- 5-Finger LDS Hymns – Lead Kindly Light
- 5-Finger LDS Primary Songs – Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
- 5-Finger LDS Primary Songs – Tell Me the Stories of Jesus
- 5-Finger LDS Primary Songs – Jesus Once Was a Little Child
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – There is Sunshine in My Soul Today
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – Abide with Me
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – Be Still My Soul
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – Count Your Blessings
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – Dearest Children God is Near You
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – Do What is Right
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – He Is Risen
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – How Great the Wisdom and the Love
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – How Great Thou Art
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – I Need Thee Every Hour
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – I Stand All Amazed
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – Love At Home
- 5 Finger LDS Hymns – The Spirit of God